Applying for U.S. Citizenship by Naturalization

Welcome back to Quick Notes on Immigration
with Schonberg and Timerman. I’m Andrea, and I’m Laura, and today we are
going to talk about U.S. Citizenship. So, which are some of the benefits of becoming
a U.S. citizenship. First of all, you will be able to vote in
Federal elections in the United States. You will also be able to sponsor relatives
to come to live here in the States. You will be able to travel abroad without
any fear of loosing your residency, and you will be able to apply for Federal jobs. There are different ways of becoming a U.S.
Citizen: by birth or by naturalization. Today we will be focusing on Naturalization. The requirements for Naturalization are: that
the applicant is at least 18 years old, that he or she has been living in the U.S. continuously
as a legal permanent resident for five years, if you are married to a U.S. citizen, then
it would be three years, that the applicant has physical presence in the U.S. for two
and a half years, again if you are married to a U.S. citizen it would be one and a half
year, and the applicant has been living in the state where he or she is applying for
at least three months, we need to demonstrate good moral character, as well as knowledge
of civics and the English language. The application process for Naturalization
consist on different steps. First of all, you need to fill out the N-400
form. After that they will schedule you for biometrics
appointment there they will do fingerprints and a background check. Once the backgrouond check is cleared they
will put you in a line for the interview. At the interview, they will check your immigration
and criminal background as well as as your knowledge on civics and the English language. If you pass the interview, they will schedule
for an oath ceremony, that is a very touchy an emotional ceremony when you become a U.S.
citizen. They will give you a naturalization certificate,
and take away your green card. With that you can apply for your U.S. passport. Not everyone is a candidate for naturalization. So, the best is to consult with an immigration
attorney. You can feel free to call us at 954-843-3494.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *