Australian Citizenship and Permanent Residency information

Australian Citizenship and Permanent Residency information

Permanent residency and Citizenship
If you have obtained a visa to work or study in Australia, you may be considering calling
Australia your home indefinitely. To do so you will have to first apply for permanent
residency. Once this is granted there are no restrictions to the length of your stay,
and you will also have access to all the services and benefits of other Australians.
You may then also want to consider applying for citizenship. Citizenship in Australia
does not require you to give up citizenship of your birth country, as in some situations
you can hold dual citizenship. However, your birth country may require that you surrender
your citizenship rights in that country. A permanent resident has many of the same
rights as a citizen but there are differences. Citizens have an automatic right of entry
to Australia, but permanent residents do not and must have a valid travel authority. Citizens
have a right to vote, whereas permanent residents do not. To be classed as having permanent residency in Australia you must hold a current visa
that allows you to live in Australia indefinitely. If your visa only allows you to stay for a
specific time, as in the case of a student or work visa, you will need to make a separate
application for permanent residency. Your permanent residency will either commence
at the date you entered Australia if you received your visa offshore, or of the date your visa
was issued if you applied onshore. If you are a professional or skilled migrant, you can apply for permanent residency by obtaining
a Skilled Regional Visa, or subclass 887 visa. To qualify, you must have lived in a particular
regional area for at least 2 years, or obtained sponsorship under the Regional Sponsored Migration
Scheme. You must also have worked in that specified regional area for at least 12 months,
and you must currently hold a Skilled Regional Provisional subclass 489 Visa, a subclass
475 or 487 Skilled Regional Visa, a Skilled Independent subclass 495 Visa, or a Skilled
Designated Area subclass 496 Visa. If you have applied for a subclass 495, 487,
or 489 visa and now hold a bridging visa A or B, you will also be eligible to apply for
a permanent residency visa. You may be eligible to apply for citizenship if you currently hold permanent residency
in Australia, you satisfy the residential requirements, and you are of good character.
New Zealanders who arrive in Australia are automatically given a special category visa
which allows them to stay indefinitely, but this does not make them a permanent resident
for citizenship purposes. You must be 18 years or over to apply for citizenship. Children younger than this are
included in their parent’s application. The application form for citizenship varies
depending on your age and health. Form 1290 is used for anyone under the age of 18 years
or over 60 years, and anyone with a physical or mental incapacity which is either permanent
or likely to be enduring, or anyone with a significant impairment in hearing, sight,
or speech. Form 1300t applies to all others applicants. After you apply for citizenship you will have
to undergo a citizenship test. The test consists of 20 questions, and you must answer 75% correctly.
Once your application has been approved you will then be required to attend a citizenship
ceremony where you make the citizenship pledge or affirmation. This is to publicly pledge
or affirm your loyalty and commitment to Australia. All Australian citizens are allowed to hold
dual citizenship, but some countries prohibit it. If this is the case you will lose your
current citizenship with your birth country when you become an Australian citizen.
If your child is born in Australia, they are not automatically an Australian citizen unless
one of their parents is an Australian citizen or permanent resident. This means that if
you are on a temporary visa or on holidays, having a child in Australia will not give
you or your child the right to permanently reside here. However, if the child resides
in Australia until their 10th birthday they will be automatically deemed an Australian
citizen regardless of their parent’s visa status.
Children who are born overseas and whose parent is an Australian citizen can automatically
obtain citizenship by descent. What to do next
If you or someone you know is concerned about permanent residency or citizenship, Go To
Court Lawyers operate a Legal Hotline on 1300 636 846 where you can talk directly to a lawyer
7am – midnight, 7 days/week. Your call will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
and without judgement. The lawyer will assess your matter and recommend
a course of action. Should you need a lawyer, even if it is at
very short notice, the Legal Hotline staff will be able to arrange legal representation
for you. You can also request a call back via the website and a lawyer
will call you back to assess your matter.


  1. Post
  2. Post
  3. Post
    Harry McKenzie

    i've just been granted permanent residence visa (subclass 189) and i am a dual citizen (German and Filipino). Is triple citizenship possible? lol

  4. Post
  5. Post
    Teck Ching Goh

    I sent my children to Australia for their University education.
    Now they are Citizens of Australia.
    Can their parents be eligible to stay in Australia with them OR do they also need to apply for PR or Citizenship?

  6. Post
  7. Post
    Pro Go

    Does the right to claim citizenship for children born overseas also apply if one parent used to be an Australian citizen but had to give up their citizenship due to their inability to hold dual-citizenship in their new country

  8. Post

    I had no trouble getting in Australia because I was born here but my parents had a hard time..
    I never knew it was so hard getting in here

  9. Post
    J'onn J'onzz

    Why can noone tell me how to actually apply for PR lol.

    Is there a website or form or phone number I need to call?

  10. Post
  11. Post
  12. Post
    Jibri Trawick

    I want to get dual citizenship in the U.S, and Australia. I currently live in the northern part of the U.S. does anyone know what kind of place or office I should go to start the immigration process?

  13. Post
  14. Post
  15. Post
    Indian Astrologer Hemant Bhargav Ji

    Call Now:-[+91-9569385574]-Astrologer Hemant is The Specialist of A-Z Problem Solution Like- Love Problem, Love Marriage Problem, Parents Approval for Love Marriage, Family Problem, Business Problem,Black Magic, Vashikaran, Husband wife love problem, Divorce problem, Lost love back etc.

    Guru Ji have many year Experince in this field so you don't need to worry just contact and get solution for your problem

    if you have any problem any doubt then direct contact +91-9569385574

    Whatsapp also avaliable +91-9569385574

    Love Problem Solution

    Vashikaran Specialist

    Black Magic Specialist

    Husband Wife Problem Solution

    Husband Wife Vashikaran Specialist

    Girl Boy Vashikaran Specialist

    Divorce Problem Solution

    Family Problem Solution

    Ex Vashikaran Specialist

    Remove Black Magic

    Kala jadu Tona Totka

    One Call Can Change your life

    Astrologer(Hemant) Ji is the one of the Famous Astrologer Across India who is able to solve all the problems which are related to your Horoscope, Kundali and Tanttrik Vidhi. If you are suffering with any type of problem then you should contact to an Astrologer Ji

    «+91-9569385574». We are one of the best Astrologer in the world so if you want to get a good health and wealth in front of your society then you should contact us:-[+91-9569385574]. We are always available for you help.

    Whatsaap & Call Again:-[+91-9569385574]

  16. Post


  17. Post
  18. Post
    Robert Baxter

    The people just want to live in US, and when they don't get the citizinship, they complain..
    They don't know that exist alot of great countries to live..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *