Do I Need to be a United States Citizen to Work for the Federal Government?

Hello, I’m Karlos with the Office of Personnel
Management. For most Federal jobs, you must be a United
States citizen or National (meaning a person who owes permanent allegiance to the United
States (for example, natives of American Samoa and Swains Island)).
However, there are some exceptions. For instance, if you are a student or recent graduate who
is not a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible to work for the Federal Government through
one of the three Pathways Programs. The Pathways Internship Program, the Presidential Management
Fellows Program; or the Recent Graduates Program. However, you must possess full U.S. citizenship
by the end of the Program to obtain permanent Federal employment. For information about the Pathways Programs,
go to There are other exceptions, as well. Most
agencies have information about employment opportunities on their websites, including
citizenship requirements. So, if you’re a non-citizen interested in
working for a particular agency, visit that agency’s website to learn about opportunities
for non-citizens. Go to for a list of Federal agencies. For information on U.S. citizenship, student
visas, and U.S. immigration laws, go to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s U.S.
Citizenship and Immigration Services’ website at . Information about eligibility
and how to pursue U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the U.S. can be found on this site. For more, go to and search for:
“New to the Federal Government – U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizens” and also “Employment of
Non-citizens”. I hope you find this information helpful and
that you are successful in your job search.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *